Our Tenants Guide
If you are looking to rent property in St Albans or are currently a tenant, we are here to help. Take a look at our Tenants Guide below which outlines the renting process and provides some advice for existing St Albans tenants.
We will endeavour to arrange viewings for properties at a time that’s convenient to you and we will accompany you to these appointments to ensure you get the information you need on the rental property.
In order to organise viewings, we’ll need your contact details. You’ll need to provide us with your current address, mobile telephone number and an e-mail address.
When choosing the right property to rent in St Albans the options for furnishings vary from furnished, unfurnished and part-furnished.
Furnished Properties: Dependent on the Landlord and what they chose to supply; furnished properties are provided with basic items, but can be provided with what’s known as soft items such as sofas, chairs, tables, beds etc.
Unfurnished Properties: This generally means that the property is provided with only the basics, such as carpets or floor coverings, curtains, light fittings and some kitchen appliances. These are also known as white goods.
Part-Furnished Properties: This can be a mixture of white goods and soft items, where landlords may offer you the choice of whether to have addition furnishing.
To avoid any confusion please ask to see a copy of the inventory for avoidance of doubt.
Applying for a property and fees
If after the initial viewing you are interested in renting a property then it is important you contact Daniels letting agents as soon as possible.
We will need you to provide certain information in order for us to discuss your potential tenancy with your new landlord.
Furthermore all tenants will need to be fully referenced by Van Mildert who will carry out the referencing and a credit check process on our behalf.
Fees applying to all new tenancies from 1st June 2019
We may charge a tenant any or all of the following when required:
- the rent;
- a security deposit with a maximum of 5 weeks rent, or 6 weeks on a property with rent over £50,000 per year;
- a holding deposit of no more than one weeks’ rent;
- default fee for late payment of rent (after 14 days);
- reasonable charges for lost keys or security fobs;
- payments associated with contract variation, at £50 or reasonable costs incurred if higher, when requested by the tenant;
- payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant; and
- payments in respect of bills - utilities, communication services, TV licence, council tax and green deal or other energy efficiency charges.
Fees applying to all pre-existing tenancies entered before 1st June 2019
We shall continue to apply the charges within the existing tenancy agreement until 31st May 2020.
For information all our tenants will need to pay an administration fee of £195 Inc VAT
(£162.50 + £32.50 VAT).
Should a guarantor be required an administration fee of £75 Inc VAT (£62.50 + £12.50 VAT) will need to be paid.
A one off ‘move in’ fee of £75 inc VAT (£62.50 + £12.50 VAT) will be charged to each property to cover the checking of the inventory and notifying utilities etc.
The administration fees cover a charge towards the cost of:
- Drawing up the tenancy and administration.
- Checking the inventory and moving you in.
- Arranging for the transfer of the Gas, Electric, Water and Council Tax into your name.
- Arrangements for the transfer of any Telephone, Broadband, Satellite or Cable TV services are the tenant’s responsibility and need to be made with the service provider.
- First month’s rent and deposit
Prior to the commencement of any tenancy Daniels Estate Agents will need to have received the first month’s rent plus one and a half months rent as a deposit. In certain circumstances a higher deposit amount may be required. Please note our preferred method of payment is internet or bank transfer.
Tenants will be responsible for the payment of the normal utilities, Council Tax and Television Licence. We ask that tenants insure their own belongings and may wish to consider cover for accidental damage to the landlord’s property which may help protect their deposit. Details of specialist tenants insurance are available via our office.
Tenants wishing to keep pets will need to notify us of this in order for us to check that the landlord is happy to accept pets. In such circumstances an increased deposit may be required.
All our properties are non-smoking lets.
If you are thinking of renting property in St Albans or are an existing tenant with us and would like more information, get in touch with our friendly letting agent team who will be happy to help.